Written by: Shanna
As most girls imagine, shopping for the perfect wedding dress was the most surreal moment. As we were driving to a bridal boutique, one of my friends asked what my dream dress would look like. As I sifted through all of the wedding dresses I’ve ever seen, I meekly said, “I don’t know, I guess I just imagine myself in 50 years looking back at my photos and not being ashamed of what I wore on my wedding day, so I suppose something modest and timeless.”
Crazy as it is, I knew right away that the first dress I tried on would be the dress I would get married in. Cheesy I know, but it spoke to the simplicity and modesty that I desired from my dream dress. However, I know this is definitely not the case for everyone. We’ve had a couple of girls reach out asking for tips on wedding dresses and now that I’ve lived through it I figured I’d share some tips from what I’ve learned.I want to encourage you to not give up modesty when it might seem like an endless search for the perfect dress. There is a dress out there that fits your dream look while still being modest. You might not be anywhere near getting married but these tips are important for you to remember for the rest of your life because there might come a day whether it be in a year or five that these tips could save you so much time thinking of it all yourself. As with anything that is worthy of praise, it takes perseverance to create and find something beautiful.
So, here are a couple tips for shopping for a modest wedding dress:
- Don’t disregard your style when it comes to a wedding dress // By now, you have most likely found a style dress that flatters your body type and you feel confident in. Keep that in mind when you are shopping for a wedding dress! You want to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear on your biggest day, not like someone you saw on Pinterest.
- Dresses can be altered // Be creative with your wedding dress and remember that dresses can be altered to fit the season and style you want! For example, my dress buttoned all the way up the back, but I knew I wanted a V-back for my fall wedding. So, I brought it to my alterer, and she was more than happy to help me with this project! I’m sure there are many other smaller or larger tricks alterers have up their sleeve!
- Ask for a fake sleeve // I know so many women who have dreamed of having a strapless or sleeveless wedding dress but struggle with how that works in a church. Ask the place where you bought your dress if they have snap on sleeves or shawls upon request. On of my friends had to most beautiful long sleeve lace cover for her the ceremony and then came out for the reception in a strapless dress. In both situations she looked absolutely stunning and some people even thought she had a second dress. It was a win-win.
- Increase the lace // Lizzy’s sister also got married this summer and her dress was a gorgeous lace long sleeve dress. This tip is specifically for those who are in love with the lace trend and may have found the dream dress but it is a little immodest. Her sister found her dream dress but was sad to see the chest went down really low. So, she asked the dress tailor if anything could be done and they added lace and a little bit of fabric and in my opinion the dress was better than before! Who doesn’t want more lace.
- Remember that a wedding dress veils your body // Remember that even with a dream dress in mind, a wedding dress is there to veil your body on your wedding day. It is good, it is pure and it is beautiful to veil your body on the day that you are giving of yourself fully and completely. Without modesty, our heart can only scratch the surface, and our soul cannot become inflamed from the true gift that occurs in the covenant of our wedding day.
I hope these tips helped in some way and may God bless you so so so abundantly on the day of your wedding. Whether it be in a few months or ten years… the day of your wedding is a life changing sacrament that you won’t forget – and your dress can be a big part of that!